SERVICES AND BOOKING PROCEDURE
Thank you so much for your interest in booking a hunting expedition with Domaine Migrateur! We are so passionate about what we do, we just can’t wait to get out there with you! Our team promises to do everything in its power to offer you the most exciting and fulfilling hunting experience!
Winter has already been long, and now spring snow goose hunting is at our door! Last year was an amazing spring season, once again this year we have updated our gear, acquired more and more of it, built a new blind, and we are also in the process of digging 2 pit blinds. We can’t wait to get back in the field to challenge the white lady! Hope you are as excited as we are!
So here’s what you need to know to get started, followed by an FAQ section based on what hunters inquiry about the most.
Please select an available date at your convenience!
• Cost is $250 per hunter for a full-day hunting snow geese; meaning morning and afternoon expeditions, with a midday break (see “Hunting Expedition” section below for further details*). Early-season Canada geese expeditions are $200 for half a day and $250 for a full day. Canada geese expeditions are $200 for half a day. Duck expeditions are $200 for a full day. Regular season snow geese expeditions are $250 for half a day (and all day if it’s slow in the morning). Late season diver duck morning expeditions and afternoon geese and duck expeditions are $200 for half day and $250 for a full day.
Upon submitting your reservation, we kindly ask you to please transfer your deposit, as soon as possible, otherwise Domaine Migrateur may unfortunately cancel your reservation in order to accommodate other hunters.
• The group leader (contact person) is kindly required to make a 50% deposit of the total amount within 5 days of booking the reservation, by e-transfer**, postal check or money order addressed to : email@example.com
Mathieu Godard, 488 impasse de Vernet, Boileau, QC, J0V 1N0
• We will contact you 24 hours prior to the reserved date to confirm the meeting time and place. Our goal is to identify the very best hunting grounds available, therefore the final decision as to the chosen area is made the previous night, after having scouted several sectors.
• Deposit is non-refundable.
• No cancellations within 48 hours of appointment. If a group member cancels within 48 hours prior to the appointment date, full payment is still required.
• Rain and wind do not constitute cause for cancellation on our part, unless it is of an extreme nature, i.e. winds of 100 km and 75 mm of rain. If the hunting expedition must be postponed, we will discuss booking a new date accordingly.
• We will ask you to please sign a waiver of liability form and pay the remaining balance prior to heading to the hunting grounds.
• Attendants are welcome, but must pay half price.
• Our hunting season runs from:
• September 7th to 17th in Picton
• October to November in the eastern Ontario areas of Alexandria, Hawkesbury, Vankleek Hill, Cassleman, for 90% geese and 10% ducks
• November 10th to December 5th we pursue Snow geese with an option of geese and mallard expeditions, if we are not confident in our snow goose hunt
• December to January we travel back to Picton and explore the Amherst Island
• February 24th to March 3rd, we will be in Stouffville which is located 30 minutes from Toronto. During the extended season, we are allowed 10 geese per hunter
• March 15th to April 1st (snow geese), we will be hunting in Valleyfield, Quebec. Meeting point will be determined the night before.
• March, April and May (snow geese only), we travel back to the eastern Ontario areas of Alexandria, Hawkesbury, Vankleek Hill and Cassleman
• Groups are limited to 6 to 7 hunters for Canada geese and duck expeditions, and 8 hunters for snow geese expeditions. Groups of less hunters may be matched with other groups.
• The bag limit for birds is 20 snow geese, 5 Canada geese (10 Canada geese during the early season) and 6 ducks per hunter.
• Birds can be cleaned, prepared and vacuum sealed for you at a cost of $7.00 each.
• Retriever dogs are allowed, provided you have full control of your animal.
• Gun rental is available (limited capacity) at a cost of $50.00 each.
MEETING GROUNDS, GEAR AND ACCOMMODATIONS
• Your appointment will be between 4:30 am and 5:30 am, depending on the distance from the chosen meeting place to the chosen hunting grounds, the weather and several other factors. We generally meet at one of the following addresses:
Herbs Travel Plaza, 21160 Service Road, Vankleek Hill, ON, K0B 1R0
Tim Horton, 123 Picton Main St, Picton, ON, K0K 2T0
Tim Horton, (Cassleman exit) 2 Racine St, Casselman, ON, K0A 1M0 (in spring)
• You must bring camouflage clothing, regular waterproof shotguns, bullets, rubber boots and a valid Ontario issued “Resident or non-resident small game” hunting licence, as well as your “Federal migratory birds” licence which you can obtain at the post office. If you are unable to acquire a non-resident licence, we can help you obtain one upon request.
• If you want to stay overnight, 4 accommodation options are available to you at your own expense:
1st option: White Rock Motel, (613) 525-2362, 169 Main N., Alexandria, ON, K0C 1A0. This motel is located less than 15 minutes away from all our fields and it is very affordable.
2nd option: Merland Park at merlandpark.com, for a comfortable 3-bedroom cottage in Picton.
3rd option: Restauparc, 625 Principale St, Casselman, ON K0A 1M0. This motel is located less than 15 minutes away from our fields in the Cassleman area.
4th option: 4 bedroom lodge in Alexandria, everything included, only $50 per night per person.
Once the hunting grounds have been selected, Matt can refer you to a motel located even closer to the expedition site (upon request).
• Birds will be divided equally among the group members.
• Hunting in layout blinds is not our preferred option. 90% of our hunting expeditions are seated, in a ditch or wooded strip, as well as in an A-frame or pit blind.
• Certain cases require help setting up (30-minute set-up and 30 minute pack-up).
• Most guides and expeditions end by 11:00 am no matter the results, as we have realized snow goose hunting can be extremely difficult in the spring and sometimes we have better results in the afternoon. (For snow geese only.) Sometimes we do really well in the afternoon, therefore we may decide to stay the entire day (with a break between 10:30 am and 4:00 pm). You are more than welcome to stay in the blind all day. You never know! 90% of days, birds are on the roost at midday, not in flight. If the morning expedition is amazing, there will not be an afternoon expedition, unless you are willing to pay an extra 75.00$ per hunter.
• In order to have a successful hunt in the spring, we need to be constantly on the move to maximize your experience. Considering the quantity of decoys used, and the fact that we stay until dark and hunt the next day, we may need your help packing the decoys. Taking into account the physical demands of the expedition, if you would rather not be involved in setting up or packing up, please notify us and we will conclude the expedition at noon and handle the equipment ourselves.(For snow geese only.)
• *Snow geese expeditions cost $250 per hunter because they entail using over 500 decoys, blinds, electronic calls, flying kites, guides, retriever dogs and run the entire day. As a comparison measure, Canada geese expeditions (fall) cost 200$ per hunter because they only entail using 150 decoys and conclude before 10:00 am. Therefore, cost is non-negotiable as this is the best possible offer for the requested amount. Please understand that we are at the very limit of our capacity, which is also the reason why we ask for your assistance with the logistics (as indicated in point #6 above).
• Except for snow geese, we rarely hunt in the afternoon because the key to our success is scouting, scouting, scouting! We scout in the afternoon prior to the next day hunt. That being said, if you have a big group, let us know in advance! We have the option of organizing a few afternoon hunts over the course of the season; except for snow geese packages in the spring and late season in December in Picton, where we offer diver duck expeditions in the morning and geese and mallard expeditions in the afternoon.
We hope that this information has addressed all of your questions and concerns. If you have any further inquiries, please contact MATT by phone or text (514) 803-2973.
Here’s to an amazing 2017 season! See you in the blind!